Mold Toxicosis: Dr Robinson shares information she gathered at the North American Veterinary Conference.
I am excited and energized after returning from my most recent continuing
education lectures at the North American Veterinary Conference. Over a 5
day period, I had the opportunity to attend many lectures involving a
variety of aspects of veterinary medicine.
One of the highlights of the conference was a lecture regarding toxins. There are many toxins that can cause seizures in pets. Most toxins that come to mind are related to human medication consumption but another is pesticides. These pesticides can be oral or topical flea products and/or home and yard products.
One very common overlooked toxin is mold. Mold Toxicosis can occur when animals ingest moldy substrates such as moldy food ( dairy foods, nuts, spaghetti,grains, etc) or decomposing organic matter such as a compost.
Onset of clinical signs can be within minutes to hours after ingestion with symptoms lasting 1-2 days. Early signs include vomiting, hyperactivity, panting, irritability, weakness, muscle tremors, and rigidity. Later signs are usually neurologic: including severe tremors or seizures. Prognosis is usually good with early treatment; however guarded when clinical signs are already present.
Be very observant when walking your pet, traveling or going to dog parks.
Always have peroxide in your emergency pet kit which can be directed by a
veterinarian to help induce vomiting. With any potential poisoning immediate help can be obtained by calling the ASPCA animal poison control at (888) 426-4435.